Friday, July 13, 2012

Game Time


San Juanita and Janet at Estadio Olimpico João Havelange 
You can feel the excitement in the air. Everywhere you look flags are waving, cars are honking, and fans sporting red and black jerseys screaming chants for their team. For all you Nebraska Husker football fans out there, sadly I am not talking about game day Saturday in Lincoln, Nebraska. This past Sunday we were fortunate to be a part of one of the Brazil’s most prominent and important pastimes. I am of course talking about attending a fútbol game at Estádio Olímpico João Havelange where Clube de Regatas do Flamengo (Flamengo or Mengão for short) faced off against the team Fluminense. I, myself, have no specific loyalty to either team, but we were warned we had Flamengo side tickets and going against the crowd might not be in our best interest. That is all it took to convince me, I was yelling and cheering for Flamengo and although they were defeated in a 1-0 final score, I will continue to cheer them on.

Soccer, or fútbol as it is called all over the world, came to Brazil in the late 1800's. Rohter mentions in his book Brazil on the Rise the skepticism with which the game was introduced and the belief the game would fail to catch popularity in the country. Fútbol was a European sport not to be understood by any other people. Nevertheless, with a record five Word Cup championships under its belt, Brazil has not only proven their ability to play but also has shown their allegiance to the game. 

Flamengo Vs. Fluminense
We had been advised many of the streets around the stadium closed for the game so in order to make it on time we left the hotel around two in order to make the four o’clock game. Upon arriving we rushed out in order to keep the group together, we made it though security and the front gates with relative ease. As we climbed around the stadium I couldn’t help but be reminded of the similarities between the emotions I was feeling and the emotions during home games in Lincoln. Before reaching our seat a firework went off only intensifying the feeling of excitement I was feeling about the game. To hear about the love Latin America has for fútbol is one thing, to actually be a part of it is something completely unexplainable.

Unlike Husker football games the yelling, cheering, and chanting started from the moment we walked to our seats. Seats, however, are completely unnecessary as I witnessed about a total of three people sitting during the game. I was also taken by surprise by the start of the game. While in the United States there is suspense build before the first kickoff by going into silence, Brazil keeps on going without skipping a beat. Also while most games I have been too chants are short catchy, they seemed to be singing full out songs to their beloved team members. They also included a song at the beginning which had all of the team’s names in it.

I was impressed by the energy held in the stadium up till the very last second. The band kept playing and fans kept singing even after the clock stopped running and their team had been defeated. It was easy to get lost in the moment and join in the cheering and chanting even if I most likely was singing the wrong words.  When the other team scored there were furious faces, but most fans began to sing another song in order to motivate their team. The attitude seemed to be one of ‘we can’t let them phase us with one point.’ 

 For me, this was probably a once in a lifetime experience. In order to fully understand a culture you must also take part in and understand their feelings for recreational activities. I appreciate the fact that we were able to enjoy this event. It was a break from the ordinary and one I am not likely to forget!

1 comment:

  1. Word Nugget!!! :) Truly an experience I've waited too long to see and one I will NEVER forget. The fact that the Flamengo faithfuls cheered even louder after a Fluminense goal speaks wonders to me. While there was a small sense of hostility in the stadium due to the fierce loyalty of each respective teams' followers, I felt that the positivity and encouragement of the fan bases were even stronger forces within the arena. The chanting never ceased, the team flags never lowered, the hope of victory never relinquished.

    Being an avid futebol player in my youth, I was overwhelmed with goosebumps at the decibel level in the arena while only imagining how those players felt on the field. I was transported back in time to an era in which I felt those same goosebumps with a mere few watching us play the game. The privilege and ability to play the game is beautiful. I've missed it ever since ... but this was a grandiose awakening to the sport I cherished as a kid.

    Like you mentioned Janet (Ja-net-chee here in Brasil), football (norteamericano) Saturdays in Lincoln are quite an experience ... but I think we've, at the very least, matched that level of intensity and passion for a sport ... if not exceeded it.

    ReplyDelete